Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Innis & Gunn Rum Cask

I've tried several brews that have been aged in oak bourbon barrels. The results have always been delicious. It certainly enhances the flavors and provides a certain sophisticated body that I find very enjoyable. Todays review shares many of these qualities, yet tackles a different barrel altogether. Rum. When I think of Rum I usually think of the Caribbean, but this hand crafted beer comes from Scotland.


Innis & Gunn Rum Cask pours a dark brown with a couple of fingers of off white froth. The head recedes quickly to a slick on beer’s surface. The aroma is sweet, with notes of wood and spice. The flavor has some nice caramel notes with some subtle rum sweetness, along with hints of malt, vanilla, and fruit. It's has a thin body which makes it very refreshing. It finishes warm on the pallet with pleasant sweet notes.


I love my bourbons, but I'm biased to rum in the summer. Innis & Gunn Rum Cask is a welcome addition as a beer lovers alternative to umbrella drink. It's light, easy drinking, and has a unique juicy quality to it. The sweetness to me is what makes this brew so special. It's just subtle enough to know it's there, and it maintains it's subtle consistency from start to finish without becoming overbearing. I really enjoyed this brew. Of course I still love my rum drinks too, but sometimes it's just nice to skip the mixing, pouring, measuring, stirring, and shaking, and just grab a cold one out of the cooler.

Chin Chin


No comments:

Post a Comment